Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Legends of Ladonia: Chapter Three

  "But...  It's the second day of school!"
  Ms. D crossed her arms, "Justice Matthews, you have detention and there is no but about it!  Sit down, please."
  Justice made his way to the back, "She's kind of mean, don't you think?"  He looked over at the girl to his right.
  She glared back at him, "Thief."
  Sapph Jones.  Yet another person who hated him.
  "I didn't steal your backpack, I got it from the person who did."
  She smirked, "Of course.  You're not only a thief, but a liar!"
  He crossed his arms and said as loudly as he dared, "The redhead jock stole it!"
  She glanced at him, not doubting that Jake was the one who stole it.  She looked away, her stubbornness getting the best of her, "Sure."
  He sighed.
  Ms. D looked up, "Do I hear someone talking?"
  Sapph smirked, "Only yourself."
  Her eyebrow twitched, but she said nothing.  She really was a nice lady, she just didn't have very good patience.
  Justice glanced at her, "I'm sorry."
  She looked at him, "So you admit?"
  He let out a long sigh, "No!  I'm just being the mature one."
  She crossed her arms, "So, now you're insulting me?"  He raised his eyebrows, "Actually, you insulted me first."
  Ms. D stood up, "Class, please be quiet," she looked around with a pointed look.
  Sapph said nothing more, just glared at him then continued her work.
...
  Sapph walked through the crowded halls, she couldn't help but feel someone was following her.  She glanced behind her, but there was no one she could pick out of the crowd that appeared to be watching.
  She turned a corner then stopped, this time sure someone was there.  She turned around and bumped into Justice, who gasped.  "So now you're following me!?"
  He crossed his arms, "Um, I'm pretty sure you can walk where you please in the school halls."
  She groaned and marched forward, "Just leave me alone!"
  He grinned devilishly, "Am I annoying you, your highness?"
  She stopped, then turned around, "Your highness!?  Who do you think you are!?"
  He frowned, "Someone's touchy."
  " 'Cause you're being rude."
  He raised an eyebrow, "Actually, I just addressed you as royalty when you clearly are not."
  She crossed her arms, "And now he's making fun of me."
  He smiled, "And now she's talking to herself.  And they say I'm weird."  
  "Um, I'm not the creep who stole a girls bag then followed her around school!"
  He looked away, "Ouch.  Feel bad for that person."
  She turned away, "Okay.  I'm done talking to you."
  He shrugged, "Honestly, I thought you would've left by now, but I guess you just had to have more."
  She huffed and marched down the hall. 
  He sighed, he was used to getting mad fun of and beaten up, but for some reason he expected more of her and it kind of hurt.  Last time I expect something from a stranger. 
  He zoned out standing there in the hall, but was brought back to reality with a sharp pain in the back of his head.  He winced then walked off to class.
...
  Sapph closed the door to her dorm room, she couldn't believe she had to share a dorm with some creep and his brother.  If he even had a brother.  She never saw him.  WHAT IF HE WAS JUST SOME PERVERT WHO BROKE INTO THE DORM AND MADE UP A BROTHER!!
  She took a deep breath and calmed down.
  She did her homework, took a shower then just listened to music until she fell asleep.
  Later into the night she woke to a thud on the floor above her.  She threw off the covers and ran up the stairs to find Justice lying on the ground in the hall, "What are you doing!?  It's like 3 am!"
  He didn't move.
  She frowned and went over to him cautiously, "Justice?"  She knelt down next to him and shook him, "Justice, stop messing around!"  She shook him harder, he still showed no sign of life.  She checked his pulse and stopped when she realized he was dead.
  No heartbeat.  No pulse.  Not breathing.  Dead.
  She got out her phone and dialed 911.  The ambulance showed up a few minutes later and carried him out on a stretcher.  She watched with wide eyes, yeah, she called him a pervert and kind of was freaked out by him, but she certainly didn't want him to die.
  She stood on the front step and watched the ambulance speed down the road.  It slowed down and the siren turned off, meaning he was definitely dead.  She gasped and ran upstairs to see if his brother really did exist.
  She opened the door and almost ran into a guy with red hair and glasses.  "Are you Zack!?"
  He didn't respond, "What was all the commotion?"
  She quickly explained what had happened.
  Zack simply frowned, he had no reaction other than that, "Did they already take him?"
  Sapph stared at him, he was so nonchalant.  "Do you not care that you're brother just died!?"
  His frown deepened, "Of course I care, which is why you must answer the question."
  She frowned, "Yeah, they went down the road."
  He calmly walked over to the door, got his long detective-like coat of the coat rack and headed out, lightly closing the door behind him.
  She waited a moment to make sure he was gone then ran out and got her bike, speeding to the hospital.
  She ran in just as they were letting Zack into the emergency room, "Zack!  Wait!"
  One of the male nurses stopped her, "Sorry, I can't let you back there."
  She gave Zack a pleading look and he let out an annoyed sigh, "She's with me."
  They sat in the chairs next to Justice's hospital bed, Sapph stared at the unmoving line on the monitor, "Why aren't they taking him out if he'd dead?"  Zack gave her a sharp look, but said nothing.   The nurse came in and sat down on the stool, "I don't quite understand, he showed a small sign of life for a second, then it went away.  If nothing happens within two hours we'll have to send him to the morgue.
  The only sign of care from Zack was his jaw flexing.
  Sapph frowned, "Do you think he'll wake up?"
  The nurse was silent, then stood up, she looked at them with a sympathetic look, "I'm not permitted to say..."
...
  It was almost 5:00 am, there was only about twenty minutes until they took him away.  A couple minutes passed, Zack had been sitting there emotionless the entire time.
  Sapph rested her elbows on her knees and ran her hands through her hair, she just didn't understand how this even happened.
  The nurse came in, "I'm sorry," she looked down, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
  Zack stood up, without saying anything, Sapph stared at her for a moment then stood up.  
  They were just about to the door when they heard a gasp and the machine started beeping like crazy.  About ten frantic nurses rushed in and shooed them out.
  In the waiting room, Sapph stared at Zack with wide eyes, "What happened to him!?"
  Zack frowned, "I can't say."
  Sapph crossed her arms, "A boy just died and revived himself after almost two hours and you're not gonna tell me why!?" 
  Zack glanced at her, "I don't know why." 
  For the first time that night, she saw a small sign of worry.
  She looked down, feeling bad for snapping on him, after all, this was his brother.
  A nurse came out about ten minutes later, "You can come back now."
  Sapph and Zack rushed back there to see a tired looking Justice laying in the bed.
  Zack sat down next to him, "Don't scare me like that," he said with no emotion whatsoever.
  Sapph stared at him with wide eyes, unsure of what to say or do.
  He looked up, slightly shocked to see her, he weakly smiled and managed to say one thing before falling asleep, "I didn't steal your backpack..."

No comments:

Post a Comment