Monday, February 8, 2016

Legends of Ladonia: Chapter Nine

  Her eyes flashed open, she was burning up.  She looked around and screamed when she saw her bed was on fire.  She backed into the headboard away from the flames and tried to find a path to escape.  "MOM!  DAD!  SOMEONE HELP!"
  Moments later, her mom ran in and screamed, quickly running to the fire extinguisher.  She extinguished the flames and pulled Bloom off the bed, "Are you hurt!?  I'm calling an ambulance!"
  She put a hand on her head, the flames hadn't touched her, but suddenly she felt dizzy.
  She opened her eyes and groaned, she had an excruciatingly bad headache.  "Good, you're awake.  Are you hungry?"  She looked at the nurse, "What happened?"  She sat down on the edge of the bed, "You had a house fire.  You show no signs of injury, so I'm guessing you fainted from shock.  Are you hungry?"  She shook her head, "No thank you.  Where is my mom?"  The nurse, who's tag read "Hayley", sighed, "She's in the waiting room, I told her to wait out there for a little bit 'cause I wasn't sure what state you'd be in when you woke up.  You need to eat, do you prefer a burger or a slice of pizza?"
  She grimaced, "I'm not hungry."  Hayley nodded and stood up, "Right, I'll bring up the pizza, then."


...

  Sapph frowned and got up off her knees.  She was dreaming, the same dream she had ever since she was little.  She looked down at herself and frowned, but wait a minute....  I'm not a little girl in this one...  She looked around and frowned when she saw the corridor was empty.  This was different.
  She could hear someone crying and rushing footsteps.  She grabbed one of the torches of the wall and walked in the direction of the sounds.  She ducked out of sight when she saw a man run past.  What was going on?
  She heard voices down the corridor and tried to hear what they were saying.  She couldn't make out what they were saying, so she headed in that direction.  She peered in through the open door to see a group of people, one woman was crying.  She stepped inside the room, "Can someone tell me where I am?"
  No one acknowledged her.  She frowned and walked up to the man, "Hello?"  She realized they must not be able to see her.  She left the room and wandered down the hall, trying to find what the point of this dream was.  
  She found herself, after a few minutes of walking, going down a long spiral staircase, descending into darkness.  It was pitch black now, she stopped when she couldn't see the steps in front of her.  She lowered the torch, trying to see the steps.  She clutched the torch tighter when a sudden gust of wind rushed over her.  She grabbed onto the railing and tried to steady herself.  Her torch blew out and she was left with no light.
Her eyes flashed open and she screamed when she saw her hand was on fire.  Justice ran in a second later, he left and came back a minute later with a fire extinguisher and put out the flame, "What hap-"  He stopped and lightly grabbed her wrist, "What the,,,"  She looked down.  Her skin was perfectly fine, it was if the flame didn't touch it at all.
  "What happened?" he asked, looking up at her."  She shook her head, "I don't know...  I woke up and it was on fire..."  He frowned, "Just your hand?  It didn't spread?"  She shook her head again and he got out his phone, "I'm calling an-  Know what, ambulances take forever, come on."  He picked her up, ignoring her protests and took her down the stairs.
  "Justice, I'm fine!  It didn't burn me!  They'll think your insane!"  He laughed slightly, "I died and revived myself a couple days ago, they already think I'm insane."  She tried to get away from his grip, but due to his small form, he was surprisingly strong.
  He opened the door and jumped when he saw Chase standing there.  He ran up to him while yelling, "No no no no no!"  Justice stared, "What are you-"
  "NO!"  Justice jumped, "Dude, I need to take Sapph-"  Chase shook his head, "NO!  Not the hospital, she's fine!"  Sapph saw Justice was distracted and fled out of his grasp, "Chase, what are you doing?"  Chase crossed his arms, "No!  You can't go to the hospital!  Bloom is there!"  Sapph stared at him, "What?  What happened to Bloom!?"  He shoved them back and closed the door, "It would be suspicious, then they'd find out!  THEN YOU'D FIND OUT!!"  She grabbed his shoulders, "Find out what!?"
  He shoved her away, pacing back and forth like a psychopath.  Sapph and Justice exchanged a glance.  Sapph put her foot out and tripped Chase, slamming her foot into his stomach before he could get up, "What are you talking about?  What don't you want me to find out?"  He put his hands on his head, "Very bad things will happen!  Jake will kill me!  You don't want that, do you?  Never mind.  Don't answer that.  But trust me!  You don't want to find out!"

...

  She looked around, it was pitch black, and extremely windy, "Hello?  Hello?  Nurse?  Where am I?"  She felt around in the darkness until her hand clasped around something, "Hello?"  She felt the object and realized it was a railing and she was on a staircase, "Is anyone there!?"
  "Bloom."  She jumped and looked around, "Who's there!?"  
  "Bloom.  It's okay.  Come down the staircase."  The voice was low and filled with....darkness.  She couldn't help feel drawn to it, "Who are you?"  It pulled her to step forward, and she did.  "Your refuge.  Just come down to me."  She stepped down, almost in a trance, then stopped, pulling herself out.  "My refuge from what?"
  "The fallen kingdom will awaken and it will come for you.  You must learn the ways of your parents."  She clutched the railing tighter, "My parents?  What kingdom?"  She felt the pulling feeling again and forced herself not to step forward, "What are you!?"
  I'm asleep, I need to wake up.  She focused, trying to wake herself up, but she couldn't shake the dream.  "Bloom.  Come forward, you're kingdom awaits you."  She fought as hard as she could, but she felt herself moving downward, the darkness seeming to thicken as she stepped.
  Then it started to clear and she was in the light.  She stepped through a stone archway and looked around, she was outside now, in the courtyard of a castle.  "What do you see?" 
  "A castle..."  Someone put their hand on her shoulder, "Look closer."  She squinted, "It's just a castle?"  She looked up and frowned at the mask the man wore, "Why can't I see you?"  He looked at her, "It's not just a castle.  Turn around."  She slowly swerved so she could look behind her.  
  She gasped at the miraculous sight, "Where are we!?"  
  The castle was atop a large mountain, a huge waterfall of golden water fell down the mountain.  In the valley below set a gorgeous kingdom, full of small cottages and farms, some large estates, markets and forests.  "Colidean," the masked man said, "You're kingdom."
  She blinked a couple times, her eyes adjusting to the bright hospital room.  "You're free to go, Miss Morris.  Is there anything you need?"  She shook her head, squinting against the bright lights.  The nurse disconnected her from the machines, "A change of clothes will be sent in in a moment, you're mother's in the waiting room room room room room room room room room room room room room rom room room room room room room."  Bloom smiled and sat up, "Thank you for everything."
  Mrs. Morris burst in at that moment, "Are you sure she's okay?"  The nurse, "You were very lucky.  There was no damage whatsoever.  Oh, Hayley would like to talk to you before you leave.  Shall I send her in?"  Bloom nodded.
  A minute later Hayley came in, pulling her short brown hair into a ponytail, "Can I speak with your daughter in private?"  Mrs. Morris got up, nodding, "Um, sure."  Hayley waited for her to leave then sat down next to Bloom on the bed.  "What's the whole story?"  Bloom frowned, confused, "What do you mean?"  Hayley leaned on her hand, "Bloom.  I've owned this hospital for almost seven years now and I've seen only three cases like yours.  And all of them took a great place in my interest."  Bloom shifted, Hayley making her oddly uncomfortable, "What do you mean?"
  "Accidents like the fire you started.  You're not wounded and no one knows how the fire started."  Bloom felt her face get warm, "I swear I didn't-"  Hayley held her hand up, "I'm not blaming you.  I'm just interested in the full story.  Is there any details you left out?  Secrets safe with me."  Bloom frowned, trying to remember if there was anything, "I don't know, I'm sorry...  I just remember having a strange dream and when I woke up....my bed was on fire."  Hayley stared at the wall for a moment thinking about this, "If you don't mind me asking, what was your dream?"  Bloom blushed slightly, not wanting people to think she had some sort of problem because she had the same creepy dream, "Oh, um," she looked away, "I don't remember."
  Hayley narrowed her eyes at her for a moment, then got up, "Right.  Well, let me take some quick blood work before you head out, then your free to go."  Hayley unbuttoned her doctors coat and laid it on the chair.  She was wearing a tight red dress underneath and 4 inch black heels.
  After she took her blood, she examined it closely, then set the needle on the counter, "You're clothes are over there.  Is there anything else you need?"  Bloom shook her head and Hayley left.

...

  Chase sighed and sat down on the couch, "Sure you want to know?"  Sapph rolled her eyes, "Would have I been asking you this entire time if I didn't?  Just tell me."  Chase looked at her and Justice, "Well, you and Bloom," he took a deep breath the spewed out the next words so fast she barely understand, "you and Bloom are magical princesses from another world who have fire powers and can shape-shift."  There was a moment of silence then they both started laughing.
  Chase crossed his arms, "I'm serious!  You have to believe me!"  Sapph looked away, it was really strange that it seemed to match up with her dreams...  "Chase, why would you think something so crazy?"  He frowned, "Well, that's actually the entire reason why we know each other."  Sapph narrowed her eyes, "What's that supposed to mean?"  Chase shrugged, uncomfortable, "Well, I did.....something....when I was a little kid that messed up your and Bloom's lives, and in order for me to live, they sent me here to find you two.  I found you two and brought you two together, things happened and my plans didn't work.  And now I've reunited you two and well...."
  She sighed, "Do you have any proof that any of this is true."  He sat there in silence for a minute then slowly pulled a book out of his bag.  It was a dusty, old, thick book.  She brushed the dusk away and frowned at the title.  "The Legends of Ladonia?"


No comments:

Post a Comment