Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Legends of Ladonia: Chapter Seven

  It had been a week since Chase had said the portal would be fixed.  He'd found an old dormitory building which they'd been staying in and had managed to get the portal back with only a broken leg and a purse marking permanently implanted on his spine.
  Sapph, Derik and Jake, the ones who were least happy about Chase's "delay," and they decided to see what was even going on in the basement below the old dorm.  He was furiously typing on the keypad while tightening a bolt, the machine kept saying, "System error."
  Jake crossed his arms, "Chase, we need to talk."  Chase sighed and took his glasses off, "What?  If you're here to pressure me, I'm working as fast as I can!"  Sapph glared at Jake, "No.  We're not here to pressure you, we're hear to ask what's going on.  How far have you come?"
  Chase ran his finger through his uncombed hair, "I don't really know...  It's not making much progress...."  Jake clenched his fists, "Then try harder!  You said we'd be out of here a week ago!"  Chase frowned, "Believe me, I'm trying!"  Derik sighed, "At least we don't have to go to school."
  Rony came down at that moment with a sly smile, "On the contrary, I've signed us all up to attend LA High School, the best public school system in California!  It starts tomorrow."
  Sapph, Jake and Derik turned to him, "WHAT!?  You mean to me, we're not only stuck here, but we HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL TOO!?"  Rony stared, slightly freaked out because they all said the same thing in unison.  "Of course."
  He smiled and leaned on the wall, "Unless you're saying you can't handle it...."  Jake crossed his arms, "Of course I can!  Sign me up!"  Sapph looked to the side, "Well, if you're going...  I guess so..."  Derik laughed, "I can't handle it!"
  Rony frowned, "Well, you're going.  I already signed you up......besides, think of all those times they serve gravy in the cafeteria and you'd be missing it..."  Derik looked up, "Well....  If we're going to be stuck here....."
 
...

  Present day:
  (Don't worry, we'll get back to the whole alternate universe thing soon.)

  Justice sat down on the couch and jumped when he realized Sapph was there.  She smiled at him, "Hey."  He smiled, "Hi."  He opened his mouth then closed it.  Sapph frowned, "What?"  He shrugged, "I...I just wanted to apologize..."  She frowned, "Apologize for what?  I was the one who was such a jerk to you..."
  He looked to the side, "No, I was a jerk too."  Sapph smiled, "It's fine.  Want to start over?"  He nodded, not saying anything.  She glanced at him, "You know, I missed you after you moved away."
  The four of them were best friends ever since they were little and although elementary school, but throughout middle school they somehow all split up.  He smiled, not sure what to say, "Yeah, it wasn't the same without the little girl who always pulled my curls."  Sapph laughed and lightly tugged at one of his somewhat curly pieces of hair.
  He smiled at her, their eyes locking for a moment.  Sapph blushed and looked down, "So, um, you moved to Japan after 6th grade?"  He nodded, "What about you?"  She shrugged, "Stayed here, spent a bit of time is California, but that's a more complicated story...  So hows you're family?" 
  He looked away, "Okay I guess..."  She frowned, "How's your parents?"  He shifted, "They....passed away."  Sapph stared at him, "What?"  He nodded, she frowned, "I'm sorry..."  He looked away, "Yeah.  Me too," he tried to change the subject, "How's you're family?"  Sapph looked down, "Uh, haven't seen them...  I've been staying with Lizzie and her step dad."  
  They were silent for a moment, then he smiled at her, "Want to do something?"  She looked up, "Sure, like what?"  He shrugged, "Haven't seen an american movie since I was little..."  She grinned, "Okay, then let's go to the movies!" 
  They decided to get tickets for a random movie, since they couldn't decide what to watch.  It happened to be a cheesy romance, which made Justice so uncomfortable (he'd never seen something of the sort) he almost jumped out of his skin.
  But after that they went to get ice cream.  In his truck she realized that he was only 14 and shouldn't have a license, "So....how are you driving?"  He glanced at her, "I got a hardship license after my dad passed away so me and Zack could still get around."  
  Sapph frowned, wondering how soon his dad's passing had been....  
  They sat down on the bench outside the ice cream shop and looked up at the stars, "So," Justice said, "what about Chase and Bloom?  Where'd they end up after I left?"  Sapph shrugged, "After you left, everyone kind of fell apart...  Chase's dad died and since he didn't have anyone left, he had to move to Malibu with his grandfather, and Bloom....I don't really know....things happened and we ended up not talking for awhile.  I think she moved."
  He frowned, "Oh.  That's depressing..."  Sapph nodded, "Yeah...  I still talked to Chase some due to....a job we shared, but we didn't really get a long anymore." 
  "I noticed that, what happened with you two?"  Sapph shrugged, "That's complicated..."  He licked his ice cream, "I haven't had ice cream in.....I don't even know how long."  She laughed, "I can't picture you without some sort of sweet."  He smiled, trailing off into his thoughts.
  He frowned, remembering something, "You know, we should get back.  It's getting late."  She got up, "Okay...  Well, thanks for the ice cream and movie."  He nodded, getting in his truck.
  His truck.
  Did I forget to describe his truck?  Honestly, there's no way to describe it except for old.  And rusted.  And discolored.  And.....Justice's baby.  Like literally, he's in love with it.
  He pulled into the driveway and opened the door for her, seeming distant suddenly.  Once they got inside he smiled politely, "Goodnight."  She frowned, wondering what happened, "Everything okay?"  He nodded, "Yeah.  I'll see you tomorrow."  And with that he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment