Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Legends of Ladonia: Chapter Six

  Chase stopped the car in front of the old empty building, for the weekend he took a trip back to his old house in California.  The lights were still on in some of the rooms, but there was no sign of any people.  He smiled thinking of all the memories him and his friends shared in that dorm.
  See, the thing is that Chase, the evil science nerd he was, had created a......say, alternate universe......and had completely destroyed some lives with it.  Don't believe me?  Well...  Let me tell you the story...

  6 years ago:
  (You'll understand why the times don't quite match up soon enough...)

  Everyone was meeting at the pizza parlor for the last day of summer vacation.  Chase couldn't wait to tell his friends about his.....creation.  C.J. and Derik were the only ones there, and they were arguing about what appeared to be a ketchup packet.
  Sapph and Jake, the most annoying/adorable middle school couple you'd ever seen, came in a minute later, "Hey guys," Sapph said, smiling, "I can't believe this is the last day of vacation..."  Flash and Rony both rushed in at the same time, literally, they got stuck in the door.
  Sapph rolled her eyes, "You guys are such freaks."  C.J. laughed and poked her cheek, "You know you love us!"  Chase waited for the conversation to die down then pulled out a large box, "I have a surprise for everyone!"  Derik sighed, "Great.  Last time you made us a surprise we were seeing spots in our vision for a week."
  Chase crossed his arms, "You'll like this one!"
  Little did all of them know, that this "surprise" could potentially be the worst thing that ever happened to them or the best.
  He opened the box carefully and slowly pulled out the weird looking machine, "It's a time machine," he glanced around nervously, hoping no one else would hear.  Jake crossed his arms, "A time machine?  Really?"
  Derik laughed, "Is this going to be like the multiplying machine which did indeed multiply objects, but turned them into living monsters that I still believe were demon possessed?"  Chase glared at him, "My previous failures were all....well, failures, but this!  This is going to be a famous invention someday!  I named it the Taylor 3000!"
  Sapph raised an eyebrow, "Why 3000?"  Chase shrugged, "It sounded cool.  But seriously, guys!?  You're not excited at all?  Haven't you wanted to see the future!?  Go back in time and see the dinosaurs!?  Find out the truth behind Roanoke Island!?"  Derik frowned, "What's Roanoke Island?"  Chase glared at him, "Only the greatest mystery of history ever known to man!"  Chase's eyes lit up, "I can meet Einstein!  I can watch Van Gogh paint his beautiful and unique paintings IN PERSON!  How great is that!?"
  Sapph grabbed him by the shoulders, "Calm down!  You don't even know if it works yet!"  He crossed his arms, "Of course it works!  I made it!"  Everyone exchanged a glance, C.J. shrugged, "You aren't exactly known for....successful....inventions...."  Chase looked away hurt, "It's worth a try though."
  C.J. smiled, "Of course!  I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying have been trying to invent time machine for millenniums and well, you're only 15..."  He nodded, the words going in one ear and out the other, "So, after we eat we'll go straight to my house and try it out!"

...

  They looked around Chase's ash covered basement and exchanged a glance.  He smiled a psychopathic smile and pulled the machine out of the box, "Ignore the mess.  A scientist, not that I think of myself as one....but I guess I do!  What was I saying?"  They exchanged another glance, he ran his hand through his hair, "Uh...OH!  That's right!  Well, great inventions call for a bit of a mess.  Have a seat." 
  They all clustered onto his big leather couch and waited for further instructions.  He started pressing buttons and typing on a little keypad on the machine, then said, "Step over here."  They all clustered into the area he pointed to he.  He started muttering to himself then looked up, "What year would you like to go to?"  
  Derik spoke first, "2084."  Chase nodded and started typing, "Alright.  It has been done."  They looked around, nothing happened.  Then, the machine started shaking and whistling like a teapot.  Smoke came out from the top and everyone stepped back, afraid it was going to explode.  
  It whistled louder and shook so hard, it was slowly inching off the table.  Jake hugged Sapph protectively and Rony stepped behind Flash.  Chase just smiled his manacle smile and watched with the look of a proud father.
  Of of a sudden it let out a loud BOOM and smoke spat out everywhere. leavign them all coughing.  When the smoke cleared they heard a banging noise, which happened to be Chase beating the machine with a wrench spewing out profanity.  
  Jake fanned away some smoke, "What happened!?"  Chase fell to his knees, "It didn't work.  It capooied."  Everyone exchanged a glance and finally Rony (the other evil scientist nerd) spoke, "Did you connect the energy transmitters to the carbon transmitters?  If so, the carbon wouldn't be able to escape, causing the machine to explode smoke."  Chase put his hands on his head, "I did everything!  I even made a BOX that would catch the smoke so it couldn't escape!"  Rony frowned, pushing up his glasses, "Then there's the problem.  Leaving only a box to catch the smoke would cause it to all to....well, smoke over."  
  Chase's eye twitched, but he said nothing.
  Chase got up, "I failed..."  Sapph sighed, "Come on, Chase, we can talk this over over ice cream."  They went upstairs and stopped when they saw they weren't in Chase's house.  Chase looked around where are we?"  
  An old lady screamed and started yelling for them to get out of her living room and throwing cooking supplies at them.  They flooded out the front door and looked at their surroundings.
  Chase frowned, "This isn't Tennessee..."  Jake put his hands on his head, "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!"  Derik sipped his gravy-
  Wait.  Did you just say gross?  DID YOU JUST SAY GROSS!?  Well, to each his own I guess, but make a mental note of it, Derik is NEVER seen without gravy.  Ever.  EVER.
  -and looked around nonchalantly, "LA."  Sapph looked at him, "LA?"  He nodded, giving her the 'you're a retard' expression, "Los Angles, California.  For dummies."
  Chase blinked, then started laughing, then laughing harder, then literally toppled onto the floor because he was laughing so hard.  He finally wiped his tears and stood up, "What did I invent!?  Some sort of quick transporting device?  A portal perhaps?"  
  Rony walked up, "I asked someone what year it is and apparently we haven't traveled time."  Chase frowned, "Hold on."  He got out a notebook and started muttering to himself while reading.  "I think....I think I created a....wormhole."  Flash frowned, "What do you mean by 'wormhole'?"  Chase put a hand on his forehead, "I was doing research on wormholes in the same notebook as my notes for time travel.  Somehow, when I built the time machine I....confused the wormhole research with time travel research and put them together somehow."  
  Jake crossed his arms, "So where exactly are we?"  Chase read for a moment, then looked up, "It appears I have not only created a wormhole to an alternate universe and put us in it, I've destroyed the basic concepts of physics and put that alternate universe in our universe.....THIS IS EVEN BETTEr THAN A TIME MACHINE!  I've achieved something NO man has ever even THOUGHT of!  I AM THE GREATEST 15 YEAR OLD-NO-GREATEST SCIENTIST IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!"
  Sapph rolled her eyes, "A+ for modesty..."  
  C.J. frowned, "Well, how do we get OUT of this alternate universe?  What about our families?  Are they here?"  Chase shook his head, "No, not here.  But if my calculations are correct, we technically aren't either.  We should still be in OUR universe, while also being here.  That's why this is so amazing!  So after I fix the portal and send us back, then we go back to our normal lives and have the memories of everything we did in BOTH universes, make sense?"  
  Everyone nodded, but Derik didn't look pleased, "What about the SHOULD part?  We SHOULD blah blah blah?"  Chase shrugged, "As long as I can fix the portal......which we left in that old ladies basement....I DEFINITELY should be able to."  Derik crossed his arms, "I'm still hearing a should."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment